I wrote this jeu d'esprit for the Write Brockley reading on 14 December 2019 which was held at Crofton Park Community Library and billed as a Christmas special. Because of printer problems, I read it from my iPhone. It amused some people. The title is a nod to Clive James who died a few weeks before.
1. I am nine years old and still living at home with my mother and
father. It's Christmas Day in the morning and I push open the
bathroom door to see three yellow ducks sailing towards me across the
linoleum floor. They look happy. Their eyes are joyful and
triumphant, full of the Christmas spirit, but they're sailing across
the floor. Water is pouring from the tap, flowing over the edge of the bath and gently
lapping at my toes. I scream.
My mother and father come running. What's the matter? Oh! My
father is not happy. So not happy he uses words I've never heard
before, though I have lived a sheltered life. My mother confesses.
It's a fair cop, fam she says. I did it. Turned the tap
on, meant to go back, had problems with the turkey, forgot all about
it. But it's hardly surprising, is it? I have to do everything round here... My father takes no notice. Everything's
against him. Life, work, bills, haemorrhoids, the central heating
system - now this. I've never seen his hair so white. In fact, if he'd just grow
a white beard...no, forget that.
He turns the tap off, empties the bath and starts to clear up. It
takes him two hours. Finally, we eat Christmas dinner with the radio
on to disguise the lack of Christmas cheer. Luckily, the BBC Light
Programme brings us Two Way Family Favourites with Judith Chalmers. I
pull a cracker with my mother but it doesn't crack. Neither of us
dare offer one to my father who doesn't speak for the rest of the day
as if struck dumb by trauma. My mother wafts around under the
crown of martyrdom. I play with my new train set and keep schtum.
It's very peaceful.
2. It's Christmas Day in the morning again, but in the squat where
nine of us are living, it's just another day. Christmas? Humbug. We
don't believe in Christmas. Christmas is a capitalist conspiracy. We
believe in the red revolution and power to the people with just a hint of love and peace. For my comrades, love is a four letter word. But I really am in love. I'm in love, I'm in
love, I'm in love, I'm in love, I'm in love with a wonderful girl.
And when we sit in a circle chewing our vegetarian chow, the
wonderful girl is right next to me.
Out comes the beer and wine. The capitalists have brought society
to a halt for two days, says our leader Red Ed. So let's
celebrate just as Marx and Engels would have done. They were pub
crawlers, advocates of the hop, devotees of the vine. The Communist
Manifesto was written in a pub. That's enough for us. Well, it's
enough for me. I drink five glasses, then turn to the wonderful girl
beside me and profess my love. She howls with laughter and uses words
I'm all too familiar with by now. I drink another five glasses to
drown my sorrows, wake up on Boxing Day and spend a lot of time
occupying the bathroom.
Early next morning when the trains are running, I sneak out of
the house and go home. My parents are watching Top of the Pops when I
get there. 'You've missed Eric and Ernie,' says my mother. 'Here,
have a hazlenut whirl.' After two days of TV, turkey rolls, Toblerone and
tiddlywinks, I sneak out of the house early and go back to London.
The squat is almost empty. The comrades have all followed my example
and gone back to their bourgeois homes, except for Red Ed.
There's no alcohol left but he gets the samovar out, makes some tea and reads to me from Lenin's Imperialism the Highest Stage of Capitalism. I sleep for sixteen hours straight.
3. It's Christmas Day in the afternoon just for a change. I've grown
up now and live in a terraced house with a semi-detached wife. My
parents are resting in peace. The squat has been privatised
and the red revolution has turned pink in the wash. Tony is in
Downing Street, Bill is in the White House and Boris Yeltsin is in the Kremlin.
All's well with the world and all's well in our
little terraced house. After so many years of trying, the ordinary
miracle has happened to us. A child has appeared and is sitting in a
high chair at the table. He wasn't born on Christmas Day, thank God.
He was born in the spring. But he's healthy and happy and smiling at
me while smearing puréed turkey down his Baby's First Christmas bib.
Yes, it's all going to happen all over again. But never mind. Here in
our little terraced house in London SE13, it's a Happy Christmas. For now...

I sniggered at that!
ReplyDelete